Contract Enforcement Organizer
UNITE HERE Local 26 is a progressive labor union that represents workers in the hospitality industry. Our members work in hotels, food service and casinos throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Our goal and commitment is to develop leadership among the rank and file members, organize the unorganized and to build a strong union based on membership involvement and participation.
Candidates must demonstrate a commitment to working for social justice by building a strong labor movement. The position entails irregular hours including work in the evenings and weekends. People who speak Spanish or Cantonese are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Represent members in grievance procedures.
- Mobilize members to participate in picket lines, rallies and demonstrations.
- Work with union shop steward and leaders to defend the union contract and carry out the union’s city-wide program.
- Identify and develop leadership among the rank and file members.
- Conduct union committee meetings.
- Experience as a union representative and/or organizer preferred.
- Willing to work long hours and weekends, as needed.
- Commitment to rank and file leadership development.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work with a diverse, multi-cultural membership.
- Ability to speak one of the following languages preferred: Cantonese, Spanish, Haitian Creole.
- Commitment to organize the unorganized.
- This position requires a car – please specify if you have one and a driver’s license.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting $54,000, commensurate with experience
- Excellent benefit package, including Health and Dental Insurance, Pension, Legal Assistance and Car Insurance allowance for business use.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and answers to the following questions to:
Laura Moye, Enforcement Director, email@example.com