Boston Marriott Copley Boycott Press
How it started (Nov-Dec 2020):
- This article in the Boston Globe launched our campaign. (A copy of this article that is not behind a paywall can be found here)
- Accompanying coverage from The Boston Herald.
- We did a virtual press conference with Ed Markey.
- A by the numbers breakdown of how many workers were fired across which departments.
- We organized a toy drive for fired workers’ families. (Non-paywalled copy here)
We protested and attempted to vote in legislation (Jan-Apr 2021):
We officially launched the boycott and started reaching out to customers (Ongoing):
- An early Globe article announcing our intent to boycott. (Non-paywalled copy here)
- Boston Globe article officially announcing the boycott and featuring banquet server Adi. (Non-paywalled copy here)
- Accompanying Boston Herald coverage featuring housekeeper Elizabeth.
- Endorsements from Senator Warren and Mass Attorney General Maura Healy.
- GLAD respects boycott, moves their 22nd Annual Spirit of Justice Award Dinner from Marriott Copley to Boston Park Plaza
- Boston Globe article showing where workers are one year later. (Non-paywalled copy here)
Why we know this is a fight we can win:
- The Four Seasons fights similar termination conditions early in the pandemic, and wins. (An equivalent non-paywalled article can be found here)
- The Nine Zero fires and quickly rehires their workers following pressure from the public, politicians, and investors. (Non-paywalled copy here)